Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Jogo de Dentro and got chowed.

Yoh playing close has many advantages, as most Capoeiristas would know. But nothing could prepare me for what happened one lovely roda after training. All I remember was and au se mao into the roda [might I add it was pretty high :) ] and the quickest meia lua de compasso flashed across my face. Next was another one and and well after that i remember waking up outside with an ice pack over my head.

What can I say it happens to the best of us, but I would like to analyze the situation a bit more. Apparently I esquived(sp and grammer) pretty well, but on the 2nd kick it clipped the top of my head with the opponents calf. A simple tilt of the head would have saved me an agonizing head ache and nausea afterward. However further more if I did play close I probably would not have a jaw to speak of right now (ie if I got hit with the heal from a bad esquiva)

Emphasis on close play is not just for shows sake. It teaches you to control your game in confined spaces and honestly reduces your risk of nasty injuries. As far as i am concerned, bad technique results in bad habits and lead you to bad situations. This is why we train, not to become robots of the same style, rather we are searching for our own unique style, one that adapts accordingly to various circumstances that we face in the roda and life.

So the simplest way to avoid injuries, train to teach your body new habits, train to get out of bad ones, and if you are starting of, train to avoid them.

Nuff said y'all

No comments: